Our Pack Pinewood Derby Weekend is coming soon – Saturday, March 23rd, 2019 !!!
All cars MUST be delivered to Epiphany Lutheran on Friday, March 22nd between 6:00 – 7.30pm.
The Bear Rank is responsible for hosting and working this event. A signup will be posted closer to the event.
Test Track – Test Nights
- Wednesday, March 20th – 7pm to 8pm – Silvercrest
- The test track will allow you to make sure your car runs straight and can complete the race course.
- A full test track will be setup to allow testing of cars 2 days before the official check-in on Friday.
- The track may not be fully setup Friday at check-in – so take advantage of these Test Track Nights!
Check-In & Inspection
- Friday, March 22nd
- 6:00pm to 7.30pm
- Epiphany Lutheran Church Gymnasium
- Weight and Dimensions will be checked for rule compliance
- Note: All cars must be checking in and kept at Epiphany overnight. If you can’t make it, make arrangements for the car to make the check-in with someone else
- Car Numbers are available here
- Saturday, March 23rd
- 12pm to 5pm with approximate time slots per rank below
- Epiphany Lutheran Church Gymnasium
- Estimated Race Schedule (TIMES BELOW Subject to Change)
- Lions – 11:00 to 11:10
- Tigers – 11:15 to 11:45
- Wolves – 11:45 to 12:30
- Siblings & Parents – 12:30 to 1:00
- Bears – 1:00 to 1:30
- Webelos – 1:30 to 2:00
- Grand Finals – 2:00 to 2:30
- Note: Cars will be run during these times by rank, regardless if the scout is in attendance or not. The race software requires us to set this up in advance and we cannot alter the schedules.
Check-In Process Summary
- Check Weight – max 5.00 oz
- Check Dimensions
- Check Starting Pin Compliance
- Check Axles and Wheels (see rules – click here)
- Check Numbers & Apply a sticker with number
- Scout provides name of car
- Check Into Race Software
- Photograph each car
- Place in Storage until after race is completed
- Fastest Cars have the option to participate in the Grand Finals
Check-In Process Detailed
Check 1 – Weight Check
- Is the weight not more than 5.00 oz (141.748 grams)?
Check 2 – Dimensions Check
- Is the width of the car too wide? Limit is 2.75″
Check 3 – Starting Pin Compliance
- Does any part of the car extend pass the starting pin?
- The cars are started by a Pin in the front middle of the car.
- No Part of the car can extend in front of the starting pin.
Check 4 – Track clearance check
- Will the car be able to run down the track and the center guide?
- Minimum width between wheels is 1.75″
- Minimum base of car to track height is 3/8″
- Track Specs: http://www.besttrack.com/track_specs.html
Check 5 – Wheels and Axles check
- Do all 4 wheels roll flat on the track?
- Have the wheels been modified at all?
- Are the axles inserted at an angle?
- Are the axles bent?
- Does the car have an extended wheelbase?
- From rules, “The wheelbase may not be changed and the axles may not be moved from their original positions.”
- Distance between the front to rear wheels must be the same as provided on the block as it came out of the box.
- Extended wheel base cars will not compete with those in compliance with this rule.
- From rules, “Wheels and axles cannot be modified.”
- This check will look for bent axles, cantilever wheels (running on edge of wheel), and thinned (reduced size) wheels.
- See rules for further clarification. The rules are posted here.
Check 6 – Lubrication Check
- Is lubricant applied? (dry graphite only – no wet lubrication permitted)
- Is lubricant messy making the car difficult to handle?
Check 7 – Loose Parts and Wet Paint Check
- Are there any loose parts?
- Is the paint dry?
Check 8 – Number on car
- Is the number on the car?
- The preference is stickers on the rear of the car.
- Please use stickers from box. Blank stickers will be provided at checkin.
- Does the scout have a name for the car?
- Please have this ready in advance.
As you work on your cars, please remember – the race is for the scouts! Let them make it their own by contributing to all aspects of creating the PWD car that they can safely perform. Parents and Siblings are encouraged to present their unique creations in the Parents / Siblings race. Additional cars are available from the Pack or from Local Scout Shops for $5. If you have any questions after reading below or if you need any recommendations, please email email@example.com
6 Lane Race Track – Race Day
- Each scout will race once in each lane – 6 times total
- Average Time across all 6 lanes will determine Fastest Cars
- Awards for fastest cars per rank will be awarded at the end of each Rank Race
- Fastest Cars from each Rank will Compete in Race Off
- Awards for the fastest overall cars will be awarded at the end of the Race Off
- The Race Off (Grand Finale) will also incorporate a start gate and countdown timer to allow head-to-head racing. Racer response time will influence the outcome of the Grand Finale.
Loop / Stunt Track– Race Day
- Scouts can attempt to race their cars in the 2 Loop Stunt Track after they race in the 6 lane race track
- Note – not all cars may make it through loop
- Note – not for show cars as damage may occur as the car attempts the loop
- Rules are located here for download
- Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions regarding the rules.
- Speed Awards
- Fastest Cars in each Rank
- Fastest Cars in Pack
- Fastest Parents / Siblings
- Fastest Block Cars (cars that obtain original shape with items / paint added)
- Fastest Extended Wheelbase Car (cars that did not comply to wheelbase rules)
- Appearance Awards
- Best Race Car
- Best Movie Theme Car
- Best Video Game Car
- Best Wedge
- Best Block
- Best Cartoon Character
- Best Super Hero
- Best Scout Theme
- Best Sports Theme
- Best Use of Toys
- Best Scout Built
- Best Scout Decorated Car
- Cubmaster & Committee Favorites
- ** More may be added based on Scout Submissions – BE CREATIVE !!!!